Parks & Sons of Sun City launched our own Commingled Recycling Project in 2009 and with the help of our community, we have managed to make a big difference to the cleanliness of our environment and to the health of Planet Earth.
In the first four years of this program, we have managed to recycle a total of 39,927 tons of material!
This translates to saving:
163,700,700 gallons of water
279,489,000 kilowatt hours
WHY WE SHOULD SAVE TREES:
Trees are vital to the environment, as they produce oxygen and clean the soil. They help to slow storm water runoff, act as wind breaks and provide coolness and shade. In suburban areas, trees control noise pollution, and clean the air. Our goal is to protect the environment and to leave a healthier, cleaner world for our future generations, while at the same time restore Earth’s delicate balance.
WHY WE SHOULD SAVE WATER:
While the planet consists of nearly 70% of water, less than 1% of that water is suitable for human consumption. Recycled paper made from old paper requires only half the amount of water that the process of making virgin paper from trees requires. In addition to only using half the amount of water, materials that would otherwise be dumped onto a landfill, are reused.
WHY WE SHOULD SAVE ELECTRICITY:
Producing electricity is an expensive process, which is also harmful to the environment. However, by recycling just one aluminum can, you can save enough energy to run your TV for 2 hours, use your computer for 3 hours, or run a 100-watt light bulb for twenty hours. Recycling can help save our planet’s precious water resources.
PROTECTING THE ENVIRONMENT:
It is important for individuals and businesses to decrease the waste generated as this helps reduce our negative impact on the environment and conserves our planet’s natural resources. Surveys have shown that 90% of people would be prepared to recycle, if only it was simpler. Parks & Sons have taken heed of this request by the introduction of the simple and convenient commingled recycling program. This innovative program allows all recyclable materials to be combined into a single bin – preventing the frustration of separating glass, plastics, paper, etc.
Please join Parks & Sons in our efforts to preserve the environment for future generations. We are excited about our recycling efforts and look forward to working with you in the protection of our environment.
- Five plastic PET bottles (e.g. beverage bottles) yield enough fiber for one extra large t-shirt, one square foot of carpet, or enough fiber to fill one ski jacket.
- Recycling one 3 foot stack of newspaper saves one tree.
- Recycling 1 ton of paper helps reduce water pollution by 35% and air pollution by 74%, saving 4,800 kWh of energy, which is equivalent to the average household’s consumption over a seven-month period. At the same time you can save 16,330 gallons of water, make 11,324 rolls of toilet paper, or 3,569 rolls of kitchen towel.
- Every three months Americans landfill enough aluminum to rebuild our entire commercial air fleet. North America, which constitutes 4% of the world’s population, consumes a quarter of Earth’s resources.
- Recycling one aluminum can saves enough energy to keep a light bulb lit for 12 hours or one television for 3 hours. Yet, recycling old aluminum uses only 5% of the energy required to make new aluminum.
- A plastic bag takes 400 years to biodegrade.
- One glass jar that is recycled saves enough electricity to light a conventional 60-watt bulb for 4 hours and an 11-watt CFL bulb for 20 hours.
- On average, 16% of the cost of a purchase pays for packaging, which generally ends up in landfills.