Holidays mentioned below may affect your regular collection schedule. Service days that fall on or after a recognized holiday (listed below) will be delayed one day that week. Service days that fall before a recognized holiday are not affected and will remain on schedule. If a holiday is not mentioned in the schedule, your trash and recycling collections will not be affected.
Following is a list of materials included in the curbside recycling collection.
Plastics 1 & 2
Plastics 3 thru 7
Following is a list of materials that should not be included with the recycling collection.
- Plastic bags
- Hangers (metal or plastic)
- Construction waste
- Microwave trays
- Light bulbs
- Glass cookware/bakeware
- Shredded paper
- Landscaping/yard waste
- Paper that has been in contact with food
- Fast food materials (straws, wrappers)
- Styrofoam (packing peanuts)
- Vehicle parts
- Window or auto glass
CONVENIENCE:In this state-of-the-art program, you do not need to sort or separate your recyclables from one another. This is a single-stream recycling program, meaning that all recyclable items are placed into the bin together (e.g. glass can be mixed with plastic, paper mixed with aluminum cans, etc.). Please review the documents on this page for more information on the changes being made and materials collected in the recycling program.
Collection Time:To be sure of service, please have your City of El Mirage barrel(s) out at the curb by 5:30 a.m. on your pick up days as trucks will start collecting at that time.
Barrel Placement:The front of the barrel(s) must be facing the street. Please do not place barrels near vehicles, fences, mailboxes, etc. that might be damaged by the automated arms (provide at least four feet of clearance in all directions from any obstacle). Placing barrels near obstacles may prevent your trash from being collected.
Multiple BarrelsIf you have two or more barrels, please place them at the street spaced at least four feet apart to leave room for the automated arms to grasp the barrels.
Containment:Bag and tie all trash before placing in the barrel. Do not bag your recyclables. All trash and recycling must be contained in your barrel(s) provided to you by the City of El Mirage and cannot protrude more than one foot beyond the barrel. Overfilled barrels will not be serviced! Customers will be required to partially empty overfilled barrels and a truck will not return until the next regularly scheduled collection day. Trash and/or recyclables not contained in your City of El Mirage barrel(s) will not be collected.
Unacceptable Waste:Remodeling/construction debris, dirt, rocks, cement, or roofing shingles cannot be taken with the regular collection. If you need to dispose of these types of items, please contact Customer Service to make special arrangements (additional charges will apply).
Hazardous Waste:Materials such as motor oils, tires, car batteries, chemicals, and paint cannot be placed in the regular trash as they are considered hazardous. For proper disposal methods, contact Customer Service or click on the Hazardous Waste link.
Large/Bulk Item Disposal:If you have an excessive amount of trash or large items to be disposed of which will not fit in your barrel, please contact Customer Service. We can pick up these items for you; however, there will be an additional charge dependent on the volume, size of item(s), etc.
- Cycle One runs from the 16th of a month until the 15th of the following month, and payment is due on the 10th of each month.
- Cycle Two runs from the 1st of the month until the 30th/31st of each month, and payment is due on the 25th of each month.
A delinquency fee of 5% will be assessed on any past due balance if payment has not been received by the due date, and a Service Suspension Notice will be mailed out with another payment due date. Payment must be received by Customer Service on or before the due date or service will be discontinued and a $25.00 fee will be assessed. Call El Mirage Customer Service at (623) 933-1228 to make a payment arrangement and avoid interruption of service.
Where should I place my barrel(s) for collection?
Where should I place my container on collection day?
- Place the container at the curb, no more than 2 feet from the street
- Container lid opening should face the street with the handles facing toward your house
- Area surrounding your container should be clear of vehicles, mailboxes, plants, overhead wires, etc. Our drivers should be able to easily access your container using the automated equipment.
- If you have two or more containers, please place them at least 4 feet apart
What should I do if my collection is missed?
- Containers out at the curb no later than 5:30 am the day of service
- The area surrounding your container is clear of vehicles, mailboxes, shrubbery, overhead wires, etc.
- Container is not overloaded (all refuse should be inside the container with the lid closed)
- Hazardous waste is not thrown in the container
What items should not be placed in my container?
- Dirt, rock, concrete, construction debris, or sod (click here for disposal options)
- Flammable materials such as oil, gas, or paint (click here for disposal options)
- Hot ashes or coals
- Hazardous materials (click here for disposal information)
What if I have more refuse than will fit into my container?
- Arrange for a one-time extra collection on your container
- Request more containers at your location
- Schedule a bulk collection